The Oyster Box
Enjoy the pamper you deserve. Situated in the heart of Umhlanga and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Just 19 km from King Shaka International Airport and very close to numerous shopping centers, including Gateway Theater of Shopping.
Why we Love it
- This property is ideally located on Umhlanga’s beach overlooking the ocean and iconic lighthouse.
- An award-winning Spa featuring Turkish Hammam.
- Enjoy a multitude of dining options.
- A national treasure, South Africa’s most cherished hotel.
- Dolphin watching from the Ocean Terrace and Oyster Bar.
- Enjoy an authentic Durban curry from the lavish buffet.
- Do not miss the movie screenings in the private 24-seater cinema, including beverages, fresh popcorn and sweets.
- Spoil yourself with a visit to the award-winning Spa,featuring Turkish Hammam.
- Enjoy fine dining in The Grill Room.
- Shuttle service
- Airport shuttle (additional charge)
- Designated smoking area
- Air conditioning
- Shops (on site)
- Car hire
- Packed lunches
- Gift shop
- Safety deposit box
- Bridal suite
- VIP room facilities
- Family rooms
- Facilities for disabled guests
- Non-smoking rooms
- Room service
- Concierge service
- Luggage storage
- Currency exchange
- 24-hour front desk
- Sun terrace
- Shoeshine (Additional charge)
- Ironing service (Additional charge)
- Dry cleaning (Additional charge)
- Laundry (Additional charge)
- Business centre
- Fax/photocopying (Additional charge)
- Meeting/banquet facilities (Additional charge)
- Free! Pets are allowed on request. No extra charges.
- Kids’ club
- Children’s playground
Entertainment & Family Services
Children under 12 years stay free (subject to room category booked)
- Welcome drink on arrival for kids includes – fruit juice, cranberry and lemonade, still and sparkling water
- Welcome gift, backpack filled with essential goodies for children under 12 years
- Access to the Holiday Club daily from 10h00 to 19h00.
- Use of the Xbox, Play station and selection of board games.
- Activities include story-telling, face painting, and making their own fishing rod.
- Activities for special holidays (Easter, Christmas and New Year) include painting Easter eggs, egg hunt, creating Advent calendars and
Christmas decorations and creating their own crown for New Year’s Eve.
- Kiddies robes and linen with milk and cookies on the first evening turn down.
- Children’s menu items on the breakfast buffet – chocolate milk, Purity and rusks (on a request basis)
- Child-friendly menu at The Ocean Terrace.
- Transfers to the Gateway Theatre of Shopping with car seats for children accompanying their parents.
- The Concierge will gladly arrange kid’s tours and recommend great places of interest for families.
- Use of the family DVD library for in-room viewing along with complimentary popcorn, sweets.
All children are given a wristband on check-in which entitles them to the following goodies during their stay:
- Skabenga balloon
- Toffee apple
- Soft drink
- Ice cream
- Lucky packet
Pool and wellness
- Swimming pool
- Swimming pool toys
- Outdoor pool
- Massage (Additional charge)
- Spa and wellness centre (Additional charge)
- Fitness centre
Babysitting/child services (Additional charge)
Food & Drink
- Kid meals (Additional charge)
- Special diet menus (on request)
- Breakfast in the room
- Restaurant (à la carte and buffet)
- Great coffee!
The choice of three bars are no exception for guests and locals alike.
Magnificent terrace with 180-degree views of the coastline.
The Lighthouse Bar
- The Lighthouse Bar is one of Umhlanga’s hottest spots and offers breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean and the iconic red and white Umhlanga lighthouse.
The Oyster Bar
- With its long marble bar The Oyster Bar is one of the hotel’s most popular meeting places. Whether for coffee, a business meeting, pre-dinner drinks with friends, sundowners or cocktails, this venue buzzes with an energy and activity all of its own.
The Chukka Bar
- Occupying the same spot for over 50 years, the Chukka Bar, is brimming over with old world charm, character and memories. Filled with Polo memorabilia, an intimate bar and comfortable lounging area, the Chukka Bar is a firm favorite with locals.
The Ocean Terrace
- The beautiful Ocean Terrace restaurant, with gorgeous views across the Indian Ocean, serves a Bistro-style menu and is perfect for casual, al fresco and family dining. With something to suit every palate favorite dishes include freshly baked pizzas from the wood-fire pizza oven, sustainable sourced seafood and a host of perennial favorites such as fish and chips.
The Ocean Terrace also serves a delicious English Breakfast daily, as well as an a la carte menu for lunch and dinner.
- Also on offer in the Ocean Terrace, the incredible Curry Buffet, including authentic Tandoori Chicken, continues to attract fans from far and wide. Using delicate hand-blended combinations of spices and fresh herbs, the extensive selection of Curries includes, meat, fish and vegetarian option – making each curry a masterpiece!
- The Ocean Terrace is also the perfect backdrop for a relaxed sundowner overlooking the rim flow pool and sea.
The Grill Room
- The legendary Grill Room has been renowned for its fine dining and outstanding cuisine for almost 70 years.
- Classic Grill Room touches include the authentic Gueridon service, where food is prepared and presented at the individual diner’s table and the Classic 1920’s Hors d’ Oeuvres Trolley, with an extensive range of 18 ‘old world’ appetizers.
- With over 50 years of experience, Maître‘d Hendry Pakiri, still presides over the elegant dining room.
The Palm Court
- Inspired by The Oyster Box’s original, architecture with four magnificent tole and ceramic chandeliers purchased from the Savoy Hotel in London, natural sunlight and towering Palms, The Palm Court is the venue for the legendary High Tea each afternoon. It’s also a favorite meeting spot for casual dining and the ideal place to enjoy the Evening Indulgence treat.
- High Tea is a lengthy, leisurely affair with live piano music providing a welcome addition to the occasion. All pastries and baked goods are prepared on the property by our wonderful pastry team. The high tea table is a visual and taste spectacle of sumptuous treats, with everything from freshly baked scones, pastries, quiches and cakes, to finger sandwiches and savories.
- High Tea at the Oyster Box is a lengthy, leisurely affair, not be be missed!
86 luxurious rooms, suites and villas to choose from, decorated with rich fabrics and furnishings.
The Oyster Box meets the individual needs of every visitor.
Offering direct beach access from the hotel.
Garden Villa Lofts
Beautifully designed garden-facing Loft Rooms.
Each room is individually and superbly decorated.
Magnificent 4 poster king size beds and ample space.
Classic Garden Facing Rooms
All Classic Rooms overlook the hotel’s lush and tranquil gardens.
Peaceful view into what can only be described as the hotel’s private oasis.
Classic Sea Facing Rooms
Each room has a balcony.
Overlooks Umhlanga’s iconic lighthouse and the breathtaking coastline.
Luxury Sea Facing Rooms
All rooms include a bathroom with double vanities and a separate shower.
Sea Facing Cabana
These beautifully Cabanas are situated on the lower ground level.
With individual terraces, offer exceptional views of the water’s edge.
Guests can enjoy sleeping peacefully on luxurious king size four poster beds.
Sea Facing Luxury Suites
Enjoy magnificent views of the Indian Ocean.
Individually decorated Sea Facing Suites.
Enjoy the space and comfort of a luxurious bedroom.
Sea Facing Deluxe Suites
Located on the lower ground level with private plunge pools and terraces.
These Suites provide guests with luxurious bedrooms and separate lounge areas.
Sea Facing Family Rooms
Care has been put into providing exceptional levels of comfort for families.
Five private Family rooms are on site.
Each with a master bedroom along with an additional second bedroom.
Superior Garden Villas
Set in the surroundings of the hotel gardens.
Enjoy the luxury of a private plunge pool, relaxing terrace.
Private lounge and bar, and an opulent bathroom.
This stylish Presidential Suite is truly remarkable.
Split over two levels with a private lift.
The master bedroom has its own comfortable seating area and a personal study.
Two lavish marble bathrooms – one offering sea views for tranquility.
Private rim-flow swimming pool, a tailored private lounge, & a gracious dining room.
A private bar and a well equipped kitchen for intimate in-suite dining.
- Tea and coffee making facilities
- Fresh fruit and flowers
- Ceiling fans
- Flat Screen Satellite TV
- In-room CD/DVD players
- Bathrobes and slippers
- Housekeeping service twice daily
- Iron and ironing board
- Heated towel rails
- Well stocked mini bar
- In-room safe
- Two direct dial telephone lines with voice mail
- Beach gear – sun umbrellas, beach bags, balls, bats and suntan lotion(collect at reception)
For the complete romantic getaway, overnight in the lower level of the Presidential Suite and enjoy complimentary:
- French champagne.
- Canapes for two.
- A Five course romantic dinner for two served in the suite.
- 60 min Traditional Massage each.